Saturday, March 28, 2009

Houston is Back! Slim Thug, Boss of All Bosses

Now I'll be the 1st to say, being a East Coast girl, I'm not a fan of the 3rd coast sound at all! However, I decided to give Slim Thug's 2nd CD Boss of All Bosses a fair shot. I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't impressed either. It appears that the Texas region has a habit of launching their native sons into momentary and sporadic stardom (let's not forget about Mike Jones huge success with "Back Then" and Paul Wall's Billboard stint in 2005 with "The Peoples Champ" project)

Photo Credit: Kamikaze (http://indmix.com)

Initially, I was surprised that this is only Slim Thug's sophomore project. However, upon listening to it 4 times, the mediocrity is in plain sight. He borrows the classic line from 1 of hip hop's greatest "Don't call it a comeback, I been here for years" on the record, "Show Me Love", which is somewhat ill-placed. 1 of the few redeeming lines Thugga spits comes from "I'm Back", outwardly admitting how the politics of his former label hindered record sales on his debut CD, Already Platinum (overzealous album title perhaps?). I can respect his candid take on the label situation, because most artists hide behind politics and pull the "no comment" card.


Teaming up with crossover favorites, Jim Jonsin and JR Rotem, "I Run" is a record you can take the club or the beach this spring. The production is geared to get your aura right, but lyrically shows how in tune Slim Thug is with his Houston connections (I'm still n tha hood, I can't leave the streets/It's n my blood I'm a thug till I be deceased). The letdown is with the prideful anthem and cameo-laced "Welcome to Houston" falls flat. It doesn't do Slim Thug or any of the artists featured on the record justice. (Chamillionaire,

All in all, this is a refreshing project right now. The last few quarters, hip hop artists are following trends and fads like the use of autotune and kick-drums. While those artists aren't hurting for sales, it's good to hear something that's unconventional and atypical in this otherwise static hip hop climate

"Boss of All Bosses"
http://www.mediafire.com/?ugknmjz2yh1

"I Run"
http://www.mediafire.com/?bujw3znzjuo

"Associates"
http://www.mediafire.com/?yjh0yyyyodo

No comments: